"Make poverty history"
Chair, Department of Economics
Professor of Economics
The College of William and Mary
B.A., Princeton University (Thesis advisor: Sir W. Arthur Lewis)
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania (Thesis advisors: Alan Heston and Jacques Cremer)
Africana Studies (Founding Director), CWM
International Relations Program (Former Director), CWM
Public Policy Program, CWM
Senior Fulbright Scholar in Vietnam
Phone: (757) 221- 2379
Fax: (757) 221-1175
Mail: Department of Economics, College of William & Mary, P.O. Box 8795, Williamsburg, VA 23187
I am primarily a development economist with a special interest in centrally planned economies. My teaching interests are wide-ranging and encompass the economics of growth, comparative economics, development economics, regional economic integration, the economics of inequality, late industrialization, and economic globalization.
My research interests and publications are also wide-ranging and have an interdisciplinary bent. I have authored several books and articles on:
Manpower Development Planning: Theory and an African Case Study, Aldershot: Avebury, 1994.
Books/Monographs (edited or co-edited):
· The Challenge of European Integration (with Patricia Dillon, David Feldman, and Paul Whiteley), Boulder: Westview Press, 1994.
· Essays on Ethiopian Economic Development, London: Routledge, 1994.
· The Economic Demography of Mass Poverty, Studies in Third World Societies, 29, Williamsburg: College of William and Mary, 1986.
Recent Journal Articles:
· “A Pathway from Exclusionary to Inclusionary State and Market Institutions for Ethiopia,” International Journal of Ethiopian Studies, 9(1-2), 2015.
· “Aid, Accountability, and Institution-Building in Ethiopia: A Comparative Analysis of Donor Practice,” Third World Quarterly, 36 (7), 2015: 1382-1403.
· “Political Parties in Business: Rent-seekers, Developmentalists, or Both?” Journal of Development Studies, September 2013.
· “The Elusive Productivity Effect of Trade Liberalization in the Manufacturing Industries of Emerging Economies,” Emerging Markets Finance & Trade, 2011, 47(1), pp. 5-27 (with Arnab Basu).
· “The Speed of Structural Convergence in the Manufacturing Industries of Newly Industrializing Countries,” South African Journal of Economics, 76 (S2), 2008, pp. s89-s109.
· "Multilateral Development Aid for Africa," Economic Systems, 29(4), 2005, pp. 433-454.