The Campus Kitchen at W&M
Who are we?
Our group is an affiliate of the national volunteer organization, the Campus Kitchens Project. Our goal is to use existing resources to meet nutritional and hunger needs. We meet this ideal through a three step process: 1. Recovery 2. Cooking 3. Delivery. At the same time we serve the youth of the community through a mentoring and after school program. Altogether, we serve nearly meals to nearly 200 food insecure residents each week totaling a near 10,000 meals a year!
How we do it: the three step break down
We have 3 volunteer run shifts
1. Recovery Shift: Volunteers receive and catalog donated food from local food donors. We receive most of our food donations from two local organizations: A Gift from Ben and Vibrant Life Ministries. These organizations collect food from local grocery stores such as Food Lion, Martin's, Trader Joes, and Farm Fresh. Recently, in order to explore another source of fresh veggies, fruits, and meats we have teamed up with the local Williamsburg Farmer's Market.
2. Cooking Shift: Volunteers gather at the donated kitchen space of the Williamsburg Presbyterian Church to cook and package nutritious meals.
3. Delivery Shift: Volunteers deliver these packaged meals to the four low income subsidized housing communities within Williamsburg.
1. Fun at Five: In two of the low income communities we serve, volunteers gather with 30-40 of the youth to participate in such activities as arts and crafts, homework, kickball or other games. We also send volunteers and these youths on field trips to such places as the Virginia Aquarium and the Williamsburg Botanical Gardens.
2. Mentoring Program: In addition to the fun at five program, youth are matched up specifically to mentors. Once matched they can participate in activities that yield them more quality, one-on-one attention.
If you have any questions feel free to contact our coordinator Katie Graap at firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherwise feel free to explore our website to learn more and sign up!
Also be sure to like us on Facebook!