Follow us on Twitter! ( CCM1693 )
The Chapel is located at 10 Harrison Ave, Williamsburg 23185
Constructed for the Catholic students and faculty at the College of William & Mary in 1932, the Chapel served as the first American, Catholic shrine to Our Lady of Walsingham and in 1939 became St. Bede Catholic Church. It continued in this capacity until the spring of 2003, when St. Bede's moved to its current location on Ironbound Road.
The Chapel is early Georgian in design. Its brick was handmade from local clay according to 18th century methods. Memorial Pathway, to the left of the main entrance, is lined with marker stones from different states and foreign countries.
The early 18th century style interior is crowned by a reredos of wood with gold leaf overlay carved around 1720 for a church near Florence, Italy.
Virgin and Child figures above the main altar are reproduced from the 13th century Seal of the Priory of Walsingham, England. The two adoring angels atop riddel posts are Venetian and are approximately 200 years old.
The statues of the Sacred Heart and St. Joseph that flank the main altar, as well as the Stations of the Cross along the main wing, were created from polychromed wood.
The Chapel of the Annunciation, on the left side of the church, is done in the 13th century English style. A reredos that contained polychromed wood statues of Saints Benedict, John Fisher, Thomas More, and Francis of Assisi, which flanked the altar, is now on display at St. Bede's.
The 5pm Sunday Mass is held in the Chapel, as well as Adoration, weekday Masses, Confessions, and praying the Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Please see our liturgy schedule for more details.
The Chapel is open (via the door closest to the sacristy) for private prayer and devotion from 9am to 4pm during the week.
For information on weddings in the Chapel, please contact email@example.com.