September 2011 Minutes
Note: This page is not visible to the public - only to site admins.
Date: September 14, 2011
Location: York Room (Sadler Center)
I. Call to order
II. Welcome and Overview of GSA Goals (President)
III. Meeting with the Rector (President)
a. Chris met with the Rector two weeks ago and addressed concerns about parking costs and health insurance.
b. The Rector does not have answers for us as yet, but Chris will update us when he receives a response.
IV. Budget/Reimbursement Policies (Treasurer)
a. We have $1,500 for colloquium fees. About $1,290 was spent last year.
b. The GSA will fund department Brown Bags and colloquiums, including funds for snacks (not alcohol). Receipts should be submitted to Sarah Stanford-McIntyre within 30 days of the event in order to receive reimbursement.
c. Sarah will send out an email about reimbursement policies.
d. Discussion of current funds available to the GSA. We currently do not have money allotted for parties; money was requested for both fall and spring semesters for parties and was not granted. We do have money for a baking competition and networking day.
V. Contact List for All Representatives (President)
a. There is a mistake in the spreadsheet of officers and representatives. Chris will amend and email to us the corrected version.
b. Meghan Holder will post minutes to GSA website.
VI. Senate Representative's Report
a. We have two senators this year.
b. People were successfully voted into committees. All but one were voted in,
VII. New Business (President)
a. The Grad Bash will take place during both the fall and spring semesters. Fall Grad Bash is scheduled for September 30, 5-9pm at Lake Matoaka, and will be held rain or shine.
i. We need volunteers to serve food and beer (need to be TIPS certified), as well as to collect entry fees at door.
b. We currently have a Social Chair vacancy. Anyone with a nomination should send it to Chris and he will present it to the GSA.
i. Responsibilities include organizing events (Happy Hours, etc.), getting pizza and soda for the meetings.
c. Film screening of PhD movie is in the works, to take place on November 11.
i. Late Night is co-sponsoring and funding $250 of the total $700 needed to screen the film. Since Late Night is co-sponsoring, the screening must start at 9pm or later and we cannot charge for the event.
ii. Chris submitted an application for funding to the Student Activities Committee and is still awaiting a response.
iii. We have discretionary funds available and can use them if we all vote in favor. Chris suggested voting on using $450 of our discretionary funds, in case Student Activities does not fund the event.
iv. We have $1,000 total in discretionary funds, $550 of which is currently not slated for anything specific.
d. Dissatisfaction with high parking fees have been presented to Parking Services, with no outcome as of yet.
i. There is concern about different costs for grads and undergrads creating a sense of segregation. The proposal requested a reduced rate for grads on stipend, with the argument being that students on stipend are on the payroll and should receive a reduced rate similar to that enjoyed by faculty and staff.
ii. We now need to draft a letter explaining why students with a stipend should get lower rates. Megan Ivory has a letter that may be amended and submitted.
iii. Anyone may attend Parking Advisory Committee meetings, so anyone wishing to voice their concerns directly may choose to do so at the meetings.
iv. Suggestion was made that another alternative could be suggesting changes to public transportation (routes in particular).
e. Health Insurance questions and concerns will be discussed tomorrow by the College. Chris will report at our next GSA meeting.
f. We need volunteers to serve on the committee reviewing applications for the first round of travel grants.
i. Responsibilities include reading proposals (2-3 hours) and discussion (2 hours). Food and drink (non-alcoholic) will be provided.
ii. We accept applications in 3 phases. There is an online application form and links can be found on the Graduate Studies and GSA websites. Deadline for the current phase is October 28.
iii. Volunteers to serve on the committee cannot be applicants, nor can they have a close friend who is an applicant.
g. Chris opened up the discussion to revisions of the Conference Travel Grant Form. No revisions were suggested.
VIII. Announcements (President)
a. Representatives were found for all College-wide committees.
b. First deadline for student research grants is October 7.
c. First deadline for conference travel grants is October 28.
d. Graduate Portfolio is going strong again this year. Ask your peers if they have published or presented their work recently and suggest that if they have, to go to the website and share. This helps the College and lets everyone know what is going on academically, what has been accomplished, etc.
e. We need to start thinking about how much money the GSA will need for next year and need to plan how to explain the amount requested. November 2 has been the due date for proposals in years past, so this is likely the deadline this year as well. If not, Sarah will let us know.
f. A question was raised as to why Symposium funding was cut so drastically. Answer as suggested by one of our members was that core funding for the GRS is a given and any additional financial support is discretionary. i. Suggestion was made that we form a budgetary committee. Sarah will send an email such that anyone interested in participating in such a committee may volunteer to do so.