(1) Leatherman, J…. Wawersik, M., … Elgin, SCR (30 co-authors) “The GEP: Crowd-Sourcing Big Data Analysis with Undergraduates” Trends in Genetics, Vol 22 (2) pp 81-85.
This is an invited review article describing crowd-sourced strategies for the analysis of big data undertaken by the Genomics Education Partnership as well as other consortia.
(2) Leung, W, … Keirnan, E**, Wawersik, M, … Elgin, SCR (1,104 co-authors)(2015) Drosophila Muller F elements maintain a distinct set of genomic properties over 40 million years of evolution. Genes, Genomes, Genetics: 5(5), pp719-40.
In addition to the Graduate Student co-author, my entire Genomics & Proteomics lab course from Spring 2009 was acknowledged for their contribution to this work.
Article featured in the Virginia Gazette and by the Genetics Society of America
(3) Qing, Ma**, Wawersik, M, Matunis, E. (2014) “The Jak-STAT target Chinmo prevents sex differentiation of adult stem cells in the Drosophila testis.” Developmental Cell, 31(4), pp474-86.
Cover image of journal issue; article featured in Nature Reviews – Genetics (Kock, 2015) & Developmental Cell (Zarkower, 2014).
(4) Lopatto, D.,…Wawersik, M., Elgin, SCR (57 co-authors)(2014) “A central support system facilitates implementation and sustainability of a research-based undergraduate laboratory course.” Cell Biology – Life Science Education. 13(4), pp711-23.
(5) Fidler, A.*, Boulay, L.*, Wawersik, M., (2014) “Sonication-facilitated immunofluorescence staining of late-stage embryonic and larval Drosophila tissues in situ.” Journal of Visualized Experiments: 14(90) e51528.
(6) Shaffer, CD….Wawersik, M., …. Elgin, SCR., (83 co-authors)(2014) “A course-based research experience: How benefits change with increase investment in instructional time.” Cell Biology – Life Science Education. 13(1), pp111-30.
(7) Sinden, D.*, Badgett, M.*, Fry, J.*, Palmen, R.*. Jones, T*, Sheng, X.**, Simmons, A., Matunis, E., Wawersik, M. (2012) Jak-STAT regulation of cyst stem cell development in the Drosophila testis. Developmental Biology: 372, pp 5-16.
(8) Shaffer C.D., … Wawersik, M, … Elgin, S.C.R (50 co-authors)(2010) The Genomics Education Partnership: Successful Integration of Research into Laboratory Classes at a Diverse Group of Undergraduate Institutions. Cell Biology – Life Science Education. 9, 55-69.
(9) Sheng, X.**, Posenau, T.* , Gumulak-Smith, J.J., Matunis, E., Van Doren, M., Wawersik, M. (2009) Jak-STAT regulation of male germline stem cell establishment during Drosophila embryogenesis. Developmental Biology. 334(2), 335-44.
(10) Wawersik, M., Milutinovich, A., Casper, AL, Matunis, E., Williams, B.* and Van Doren, M. (2005) Somatic control of germline sexual dimorphism is mediated by the JAK/STAT pathway. Nature. 436, 563-567.
Paper featured as ‘Must Read’ article by the Faculty of 1000
(10) Wawersik M. and Van Doren, M. (2005) Nanos is required for formation of the spectrosome, a germ cell-specific organelle. Dev. Dyn., 234, 22-27.
(11) Mazzalupo, S., Wawersik, M., Coulombe, P. (2002) An ex vivo assay to assess the potential of skin keratinocytes for wound epithelialization. J. Inv. Derm. 118(5), 866-70.
(12) Wawersik, M., Mazzalupo, S., Nguyen, D., and Coulombe, P.A. (2001) Increased levels of keratin 16 alter the epithelialization potential of mouse skin keratinocytes in vivo and ex vivo. Mol. Biol. Cell. 12: 3438-3450.
(13) Wawersik, M., and Coulombe, P.A. (2000) Forced expression of keratin 16 alters the adhesion, differentiation and migration of mouse skin keratinocytes. Mol. Biol. Cell. 11: 3315-3327.
(14) Wawersik, M., Paladini, R.D., Noensie, E., Coulombe, P.A. (1997) A proline residue in the alpha-helical rod domain of type I keratin 16 destabilizes keratin heterotetramers. J. Biol. Chem. 272: 32557-65.
* mentored undergraduate, ** mentored graduate student