I hold an appointment as Director of Communications, Arts & Sciences, at the College of William and Mary (since 2006); and continue a longstanding consulting relationship with the Center for Advanced Study at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Some history and background below.
2014: "Conceptualizing Environmental Exposure: From Data to Decisions" workshop participant, Drexel University's Center for Science, Technology and Society / Chemical Heritage Foundation, Philadelphia, April 10-11
2013: MOOC student, Introduction to Complexity, Santa Fe Institute
2012: Leadership Initiative invited participant, College of William and Mary (fall semester)
2012: "Humanities Rendered Visible: The Face-to-Face Project at the College of William & Mary" (presentation with Teresa Longo), New Directions in the Humanities Conference, Montreal, June 16
2010: "Communicating for Results: Shotgun or Laser Beam?" (presentation with Jessica Donovan) workshop for deans, Council of Colleges of Arts & Sciences, New Orleans, Nov. 13
2009: Lead Instructor, INTR 450 "Engagement Communications and Outreach," a W&M independent study course on developing and executing a strategic communications plan for the Sharpe Community Scholars Program and other campus units
2007: Panel member, “Developing a College Communications Strategy” conference, Council for Colleges of Arts and Sciences, March 16-17
2006: Technical assistance with Megacatastrophe initiative and research projects, repackaging of Research Fellows and Research Associates initiative, Center for Advanced Study, UIUC
2005: Co-developer, online technical resource, strategic communications planning, Community Partnerships for Older Adults
2005: Customer support and sales/marketing consulting, technical assistance, Garbers of Richmond, Inc.
2005: Peer review, Strategic Communications and the Nonprofit Board manuscript, BoardSource
2004: Panel, “Meeting Accountability Head On” evaluation purposes and strategies, Annual Conference, Especially for Nonprofit Organizations (Sept. 20)
2004: Co-presenter, “Beyond Survival: Enlarging Our Definition of Sustainability,” Annual Conference, Alliance for Nonprofit Management (Aug. 13)
2004: Co-author, Radiant Strategies: A Framework for Sustainable Nonprofit Organizations
2004: Client report, “Looking Ahead: A Strategic Framework for FACE: Truth and Clarity on Alcohol Issues”
2003: Project Connect, briefing Congressional staff on Capitol Hill, Alaska and Montana state health departments
Strategic communications (with strategic planing and mission articulation) workshop trainings and 6-month technical assistance, for Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grantees (partial list):
- 2003: Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (mental health in schools); Hablamos Juntos: Su Salud (R.I., language barriers to healthcare); Reclaiming Futures in the Mountains of Kentucky (integrated treatment and judicial remedies for teen substance abuse); Diabetes Initiative (national); Partnerships for a Healthy Workforce (national); State Solutions Minnesota; The Youth Council (N.H.)
- 2002: Alaska Coming Home Program (native populations); Caring for Kids (N.Y., mental health in schools); Experience Corps Expansion (national, elder volunteers with young people); Social and Health Landscape of Urban & Suburban America (national health database)
Strategic Communications: Champaign, Ill. / Richmond, Va. Public information plans, print marketing/development, website startups, visual identities and branding, press relations, radio/television scripting, public writing. 1993–2000: Principal (Vice-President), Otto-Walker Communications, Inc.
- Spyglass, Inc.: Marketing for scientific visualization software, consulting on Mosaic browser software features, ads and vendor support materials
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation (academic consortium of Big Ten universities): Press relations, virtual Electronic Library project documentation, website technical assistance, independent programs’ marketing brochures, annual report
- Communications support: law firm; health insurance plan; independent bookseller; political campaigns; university deans/directors of African studies, women’s studies, health services, and colleges of law, education, engineering, business administration
- Technical assistance (books): Nsiirin! Nsiirin! Jula Folktales from West Africa; Marge Schott Unleashed; Transferring Privately Held Businesses; FEMA Guidebook for State Earthquake and Mitigation Managers
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District: HIV teen awareness campaign, services marketing brochure
Marketing Communications, Office of Publications, University of Illinois, Champaign, Ill.
- Communications plans and recruitment: Office of Student Financial Aid, Division of Housing, College of Law, Office of Admissions and Records, Institute for Communications Research
- Visual identity development and applications: Robert Allerton Park and Conference Center, Committee on Institutional Cooperation, Center for Writing Studies
- Development and fundraising: Officer of the Chancellor capital campaign, Arnold O. Beckman Research Endowment annual report, Library Friends annual report and membership packet
Freelance consulting, writing/editing, Champaign, Ill.
- Rank Xerox Corporation (European division of Xerox International), London. Wrote and edited internal marketing and training material
- College of William and Mary / National Endowment for the Humanities, Williamsburg, Virginia. Managing co-editor: The Age of William III & Mary II: Power, Politics & Patronage, a 400-page illustrated collection of essays complementing a series of museum exhibitions
Copy director, Penta Corporation (advertising agency), Champaign, Ill.
- Managed writing staff, established broad corporate images for clients, wrote promotional copy for radio and television, videotapes, slide shows, printed material
Freelance consulting, writing/editing, Williamsburg, Va.
- Xerox International Training Headquarters (Leesburg, Virginia) and Rank Xerox Corporation (London). Internal books and training material
- Supreme Court of Virginia, Handbook on public access to the small claims division of the General District Court
- National Center for State Courts, Annual report
1983 – 1986
Writer/editor, National Center for State Courts, Williamsburg, Va.
- Writer/editor of monthly Report newsletter: feature articles, book reviews, judicial conferences
- Managing editor: journals and newsletters, brochures, membership directories, histories, and biographical books (including the annual collection of state chief justices’ biographies)
- Also: press relations, marketing, annual reports; overseeing production, bids, subcontractors
Service and Recognition
- Richmond Tree Stewards, "volunteers for the urban forest," secretary (2014), advisory panel (2013), certification and volunteer since 2012
- Infrastructure and tree plantings, Williamsburg Road, 2009 to present
- Greater Fulton Hill Civic Association, newsletter editor, 2003-07
- ART 180, Program Committee, evaluation, 2003-05; president, 2001-03; vice-president, 2000-01; treasurer, 1999-00
- Artspace Arts Council, 1998-99
- Vine-Maple-Columbia Neighborhood Association (Ill.) Council, 1994-97
- Neighborhood Heritage Award, Champaign County Preservation and Conservation Association, 1995
- Appreciation Awards, Volunteer Center for United Way, Community Recycling Center, 1994
- Award of Excellence, Award of Achievement,C-U Ad Club, 1993
- Champaign HouseTransitional Homeless Shelter, Coordinator (acquire/renovate), 1991-93
- Michael Hyman Award, Greater Community AIDS Project, 1992
- Campus Communications Council, University of Illinois, 1991-92
- Chancellor’s Advisory Board to the Campus Charitable Fund Drive, University of Illinois, 1990-92
- Member, Champaign County Community Task Force on AIDS, 1990-97
- Silver Medal, National Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, 1990