Physics 610 - Spring 2012: Course Information
Physics 610 - Information
- Instructor: William Cooke
Office: Small 223A
Office Hours: By appointment. I am generally available in my office (Small 223A) or in my laboratory (Small 168).
- Text: Classical Electrodynamics by John David Jackson (Wiley) Third Edition
- Material: This is the first semester of a two semester course. This semester will cover material from Chapter 1 through Chapter 5. This semester covers electrostatics, including Green functions, solutions of Laplace's equation, multipole expansions, magnetostatics, magnetic induction, Maxwell's equations and plane wave solutions.
- Homework: A homework set will be due approximately every other week. These assignments will mostly consist of problems assigned from the text book. Solutions will be posted after the homework is collected.
- Tests: There will be one in-class midterm examination on March 15, 2011, and a take-home final examination.
- Final Exam: The final exam will be due on Wednesday, 2 May, 2011 at noon, as posted in the registrar's schedule.
- Grading: Your grade will be composed from an average of your homeworks, your tests and your in-class participation. Your participation will count as the equivalent of a homework.
- The Net: Feel free to communicate
with me by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone x1-3512, or by stopping by my office.